The introduction of eBooks has redefined the process of accessing and consuming content online. It is no surprise that digital books have evolved far from just mainstream digitized books to interactive formats that include images, audio files, and more.
As computerized learning keeps on building up a solid hold in the realm of training, authors and publishers are also looking out for quality eBook distribution services. eBook distribution service providers help publishers to manage and distribute their content online and ensure that it reaches the target audience. It also lets you access global audiences, track distribution, monitor user behavior, and allows you to focus on other essential content-related work.
Without further ado, let’s jump into the blog and learn about eBook distribution, things to do before publishing an online magazine or digital books for kids. Further, we will elaborate on various formats which are used to create eBooks and how to set up prices for your digital book.
Highlights Of The Content
- Covid-19 Impact on Reading Habits and eBooks Sales
- eBook and its characteristics
- What is an eBook distribution
- How to Create an Ebook From Scratch?
- Steps to prepare kids eBook and digital magazines before publishing
- Top formats used in creating eBooks for kids and digital magazines
- How To Set Up Price For Your eBook?
- Expand Your Reach By Choosing the Right eBook Distribution Partner
- Wrapping up
Covid-19 Impact on Reading Habits and eBooks Sales
During the pandemic, people have faced a drastic lifestyle shift. One of the prominent changes noticed in the lockdown is how people consume media especially when it comes to reading.
As individuals across the world were secured down their homes, they went to digital books to divert the mind. Underneath we can see that email clicks have developed by 34% in 2020.
Considering individual readers, there’s a 30% increase in purchasing digital books per month.
The pandemic has helped to revive the digital book industry. Data from The Association of American Publishers show that eBooks had been declining since 2014. But for the initial ten months of 2020, eBooks were up 16.5% contrasted with the 10 months of the earlier year, getting almost $1 billion.
eBook and Its Characteristics
An eBook is a digitized version of books created for readers to access from various devices like phones, laptops, or tablets. To get better clarity on what really digital books are, let’s head to their characteristics.
An eBook ought to consistently be changed over into an arrangement that guarantees it’s uneditable. With a huge number of individuals approaching it on advanced gadgets, individuals might actually change any substance without the creator’s authorization. Along these lines, to qualify as a genuine eBook, the text ought not to have the option to be changed in any capacity, very much like a softcover book.
Another significant trademark is that genuine eBooks are reflowable. This implies that regardless of the size of the screen you’re seeing the eBook on, it will consistently accommodate your screen; text will remain designed with line breaks, and parts and pictures will resize to fit the extents of the gadget you’re perusing on.
However, there is one exemption. Considering PDFs can’t be altered, yet they aren’t reflowable, they in fact don’t qualify as eBooks as per the attributes that separate eBooks. Yet, with organizations exploiting the simplicity of PDF downloads and dissemination, PDFs have become “informal”, eBooks are still broadly utilized eBook designs.
What is an eBook Distribution?
eBook distribution is the way toward distributing books on various online stages and makes them accessible for the consumers to download and peruse. It very well may be done straightforwardly through a self-administration entrance or through an eBook aggregator.
Digital book circulation is complex and reliably creating an association with new players persistently entering the market as some current ones close shop. As the eBook disseminating business creates, it is vital to stay educated concerning the changing business demands.
It isn’t adequate to have incredible eBooks. As a merchant, you need amazing eBook dispersal benefits that will help you contact your group and besides scale, as your business creates and you secure new customers, data, and resources.
How to Create an Ebook From Scratch?
Want to create a digital book but wondering where to start from? Here’s a complete step by step demonstration of the eBook production process to help you create a masterpiece:
1. Analyze Your Audience and Choose Topic Accordingly
In order to market content, you’ll probably have some thought about who you need to pull in as readers. This typically includes making reader personas or customer symbols. You can do this by consolidating client reviews and thorough research with information from the web and social analytics.
All these data will help you understand your reader bases like age, gender, geographical area, and core reading interests.
Bonus tip: The goal of your digital book is to generate leads, so make sure that the visitors can get in touch with the sales team and vice versa.
This implies your digital book shouldn’t go astray much from the subject or matter you cover in your other content-promoting channels. Maybe, it’s your chance to do profound research on a subject you have partially covered and the readers want you to write an elaborated form of the same.
2. Research and Create Content
Since you’ve set up your intended interest group, it’s an ideal opportunity to discover your topic or subject you want to write upon. To start with, search the eBooks section of Amazon to perceive what’s trending in the space you need to expound on.
You can follow various ways to do so:
Create Content From Scratch
- One significant benefit of making a totally new digital book is that it’s totally novel, which can be an incredible promoting clasp. However, there can probably be a few inconveniences.
- As a beginner, you might struggle in researching the trending topic, content, data, and other functions. Further, if your ultimate goal is to create leads out of your content then this option might not be a convenient one.
- Picking up pieces from your existing or previous content can be a worthy option. It’s because creating a lengthy eBook can be a daunting process. Whereas leads can be easily generated, people have already accessed your previous content and are now looking for another version.
Create an Ebook From a Single Post
- Till now, the most convenient method is to use the best existing piece of your content as it can draw the current traffic. This will take up fewer efforts, easy and quick if you want to win the business.
How long should eBooks be?
There is no ideal eBook word tally or page length. Everything relies upon the target reader and topic. If the digital book covers everything regarding the topic and successfully conveys the intended message or educates readers, there are no restrictions to the word limit.
Listed below are some average word counts depending on the book type:
- A normal book: 50,000-110,000 words
- Short stories: 1,000-7,500 words
- Novel: 70,000-90,000 words
- Non-fiction e-book: 10,000 words
- B2B eBook: 2,500 words
3. Get Your eBook Proofread
Next, you need to have your eBook perused by somebody that isn’t reluctant to give you productive analysis. Preferably, this ought to be an equipped proofreader or a certified individual in your field, somebody who can give you genuine criticism about your composing style and the execution of your thoughts.
4. Pick the Right eBook Format
Major formats used in digital book creating are TXT, EPUB, MOBI, AZW, and PDF. It is essential to select and convert your eBook into the correct format that can be easily read across all devices.
Bonus Tip: Also, if you are publishing content on your eLearning platform, avoid including media files having Flash content as all the prominent browsers like Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, and Mozilla Firefox are no longer supporting files that have Flashplayer plugin. Rather, HTML5 is a popular choice due to its array of advantages like high compatibility, runs natively in all browsers, available for free, fast, lightweight, new and evolving technology, etc.
Flash to HTML5 conversion can be seamlessly done with the right organization by your side. Our experts assist clients in converting flash-based content into HTML5, optimizing it by enhancing the user interface, graphics, illustrations, and interactivity. We also ensure that all the resources are easily available across various devices.
5. Add Visuals, Quotes, and Stats
Images and graphics in eBooks catch the reader’s attention quickly and when incorporated at the right place can help the audience understand the message easily. Create graphics that are easy to read and conveys a long message in a precise manner.
You can also include stats and quotes to highlight back your content strongly and add values to it. While adding images or stats, make sure that it aligns with your content margin and spacing.
6. Incorporate Relevant Calls-to-Action in Your eBook
Once your content is ready, it should be optimized for lead generation, reconversion, and promotion.
A CTA is a connection or visual that tempts the audience to click and show up on a particular page that will get them further drawn in with your organization. Since your digital book consumers have almost transformed into leads while pursuing your content. Utilize the CTAs inside your digital book to reconvert your users to grow your market.
7. Create a Dedicated Landing Page for your eBook
Your eBook should be available for free on the landing page of your website. A landing page is specifically designed to promote offers and discounts related to your eBook. You can add a form that requires visitors to fill in with their contact information and later they can access the digital book. This is an efficient way to convert visitors into leads and your sales team can finally connect with potential customers.
Want to turn visitors into leads? The easiest way is to make your eBook accessible for free on the landing page of your website.
Now, what exactly is a landing page? It is a section or page dedicated to promoting your offers and discounts. It further has a form wherein consumers need to fill in their contact details to access the digital book. Not only does it generate leads but also helps the sales team to connect with potential readers.
8. Promote Your eBook and Track Its Success
Once, your landing page is completely set up and you are ready to publish the eBook, start promoting it across various platforms like social media, your website (through popups, sidebar widgets, etc.), blogs, articles, email, paid advertisement, building co-marketing partnerships, etc.
Steps To Prepare Kids eBooks and Digital Magazines Before Publishing
According to Statista, income in the Digital Magazines and Newspapers portion is projected to arrive at US$32,537m in 2021. It is predicted to show a yearly development rate (CAGR 2021-2025) of 4.48%, bringing about a market volume of US$38,764m by 2025.
Before approaching an eBook distribution vendor, here is a detailed step by step process to prepare your digital book before getting it published:
1. Choose a Format
- Generally, eBook distributors, retailers, or online reading devices use two common formats: EPUB and .mobi. The difference between the two of them is minor: .mobi is owned and used by Amazon whereas EPUB can be used by other retailers and publishers.
- As of now, Amazon’s Kindle Direct Publishing was only accepting the EPUB format. Here’s how you can Convert EPUB Files To Mobi For Kindle.
2. Create a Professional Cover Page
- Apart from your EPUB or .mobi file, you are also required to create and upload a book cover page. To get the right dimensions, you need to check with the retailers as many of them have specific details for designing a cover page.
- For instance, Draft2Digital suggests a JPEG with measurements of 1600 × 2400 pixels (a 1.5 proportion). Then again, Amazon at present suggests measurements of 2,560 × 1,600 pixels (a 1.6 proportion). Knowing the right dimensions priorly can save your time and ensure that your design appears just as you wanted.
- However, it is recommended to outsource to an eBook distribution company for designing your cover page, as they have skilled professionals to get the job done right.
- Since you have your EPUB documents, you’re prepared to distribute them. There are different distributing stages accessible to do this, yet you can choose whether you need to go restrictive on a solitary stage or make your eBooks accessible on every single imaginable stage.
- There are a couple of advantages of going to the elective course. For instance, while transferring your eBooks to Amazon through KDP, you have the choice to pick KDP Select.
- Taking on KDP Select methods you will not have the option to sell or convey your eBook on some other stage, or through some other channel, for in any event 90 days. In return, you gain admittance to free advancements, bargains, and surprisingly programmed Kindle Unlimited enlistment.
- Fuel Unlimited is a well-known membership administration that pays distributors a level of sovereignty dependent on the number of pages of their books read by the endorsers.
- Other eBook distributing stages may give comparative advantages to deciding to distribute only. (Instructions to Select the Best eBook Publishing Platform)
- Amazon rules about 80% of the eBook conveyance market in the US and the UK; their piece of the pie is a lot lower in different nations, be that as it may. In Canada, Kobo holds more than 25% of the eBook piece of the pie, and in Germany, Tolino overwhelms the market.
- In case you’re attempting to arrive at these business sectors, going wide (rather than going restrictive) may be your most obvious opportunity. Additionally, when you’re a novice, fabricating a huge presence on more modest distributing stages might be simpler than attempting to get seen on enormous stages like Amazon, even with the restrictive KDP Select advantages.
- One of the variables you should consider while settling on whether to go select on Amazon or wide across all stages is to consider the classifications your eBook falls into, and whether they hold a critical level of the Top 100 books on Amazon.
- Certain types are even selected to Kindle Unlimited, and Kindle Unlimited “peruses” contribute altogether to the general rankings.
- Above all, whatever is useful for you and whatever you pick, you need to adhere to it. Now and then, it requires a long time to fabricate a decent connection with the perusers on a given stage, so being conflicting won’t help. You need to play the long game here.
- A simple text document is the least complex record design that comes with a .txt extension. These files are utilized carefully for text, pictures, and diagrams are not upheld. In view of their straightforwardness, these documents are generally for putting away data with no arranging past fundamental text styles and textual style styles.
- They don’t have fixed formats, advanced rights, the board (DRM) security, or intuitiveness. TXT documents are extraordinary for text-hefty eBooks, similar to investigating reports, for instance.
- An EPUB is also known as an electronic publication, is the most broadly upheld eBook design and can be perused on an assortment of gadgets, including PCs, cell phones, tablets, and most eReaders (with the exception of Kindles). All EPUB record designs are DRM secured and have solid copy insurance. EPUB documents are reflowable, yet in addition, support fixed designs. Here’s the difference between reflowable and fixed EPUB files:
- Reflowable EPUB documents are planned in a manner that permits the content and pictures reflow to fit all screen sizes.
They have a level, straight plan, which means pictures cost alongside the content (no cover or text wrap), so this configuration is best utilized for text-substantial eBooks.
Reflowable EPUBs are the most well-known eBook design and have the largest appropriation since the configuration is generally natural to clients.
Another cool element is a component where the words on the screen light up or change tone while a voiceover peruses the story, which makes them extraordinary for children’s ebooks.
They are restricted in circulation contrasted with reflowable EPUBs. They aren’t sold in the Kindle store, so they’re generally found in the iBookstore, which has a more modest crowd than Kindle.
- A MOBI record, also called a Mobipocket eBook document, was utilized as the primary document design by Amazon when it dispatched Kindle. In 2011, support for the MOBI document was ended and has since been supplanted by the AZW record design.
- In spite of the fact that MOBI documents are not, at this point upheld, Amazon’s fuel gadgets use MOBI record structure, yet they currently have an alternate DRM security and utilize the AZW record expansion.
- Along these lines, MOBI records are still generally well known for gadgets with low transmission capacity, aside from Nooks and Sony perusers. Outside of Kindle, however, you will not discover them again and again.
- AZW documents, otherwise called Kindle records, were created by Amazon for its Kindle eReaders, supplanting MOBI documents. AZW records utilize the MOBI design, however contain DRM insurance that just permits them to be perused on Kindles or gadgets with Kindle applications. Additionally, they are just open from the Amazon online book shop. These documents can store bookmarks, explanations, and features.
- More seasoned Kindle eReaders utilize the AZW design, yet after the arrival of the Kindle Fire, Amazon made AZW3 documents, otherwise called the Kindle Format 8 (KF8). AZW3 is the cutting edge adaptation of the Kindle eBook record, adding support for HTML and CSS to the current Kindle design, making it further developed to help extra styles, textual styles, and formats.
- Made by Adobe, PDFs are known for their convenience and capacity to keep up very good quality plans and arrangements. Since they hold their configuration and aren’t reflowable, they can be hard to peruse on a little screen and have restricted intuitiveness.
- PDFs are like the fixed EPUB record design, at the same time, in contrast to the EPUB, they just have fundamental duplicate security, which implies they can be handily downloaded and shared without paying any charges.
- On the off chance that you select the 35% royalty choice, your eminence will be 35% of your rundown cost without VAT (esteem added charge) for every unit sold.
- On the off chance that you select the 70% eminence choice, your royalty will be 70% of your rundown cost without VAT, fewer conveyance costs (normal conveyance costs are $0.06 per unit sold, and fluctuate by document size), for each qualified book offered to clients in the 70% domains, and 35% of the rundown cost for every unit offered to clients dwelling outside the 70% regions.
- Readers anticipate that shorter books should be estimated less expensive. With fiction and some imaginative (e.g., journals, individual expositions), this implies that digital books of more than 50,000 words are expected to be estimated under $2.99.
- The word for the most part is significant here in light of the fact that a few retailers, similar to Amazon, draw in deal trackers, while others (e.g., Kobo) don’t. This implies a digital book under 50,000 words evaluated at $2.99 may be viewed as too costly on Amazon, however may sell well on Kobo.
- Non-fiction, particularly self-improvement and business books, the length of the book matters less in light of the fact that it’s about the worth your substance gives. In the event that your digital book is short, however, it totally changes an individual’s life or shows somebody how to make millions, individuals will actually want to address a greater expense.
- Longer books ought to quite often be estimated higher. All things considered, it takes additional time and cash to compose, alter and distribute a more extended book.
- It’s the ideal opportunity for some exploration! Quest for books in your classification and think about digital book costs. How much different writers are charging for their digital books can limit the decision for your digital book.
- Don’t consequently go at the least or greatest expense. In the event that you cost excessively low, individuals may think your book is shoddy. On the off chance that the cost is excessively high, individuals probably won’t make the jump.
- Cost can likewise rely upon your readership. On the off chance that you have a setup gathering of individuals who will purchase your book, you could possibly value your book higher inside the scope of comparative titles.
- In the event that you’d prefer to set up a readership, nonetheless, estimating your digital book lower to acquire traffic and new readers through quick purchases may be a superior choice.
3. Convert Your Doc or PDF Into an EPUB
A digital book is usually written in either MS Word or PDF files. In order to upload your book online, you need to convert these documents into an EPUB file. There are various eBook creation tools available online which are specifically built to convert manuscripts into an EPUB format successfully. To get more insights, check out how our expert team assisted our client in converting over 580 titles into searchable, web-accessible ePub formats.
4. Choose Your Metadata Wisely
When you are all set to publish your eBook online on different platforms, you will be required to choose particular ‘categories or keywords’. As distribution platforms are algorithm-based and this is vital to help you reach a global audience
5. Exclusive v/s Wide Availability
Here is a complete guide on How To Create An Interactive Textbook For Your Students
Top Formats Used in Creating eBooks For Kids and Digital Magazines
Here are five eBook formats that are majorly used in online book publishing: TXT, EPUB, MOBI, AZW, and PDF.
1. TXT (.txt) format
What is digital rights management?
DRM, otherwise called Digital Rights Management, is a term that demonstrates the procedure by which the creator or distributor of work applies his privileges to control what the buyer of his work is qualified to do.
2. EPUB (.epub) format
3. MOBI (.mobi) format
4. AZW (.azw) and AZW3 (.azw3) formats
5. PDF (.pdf)
How To Set Up Price For Your eBook?
1. Royalty Percentages
You make a royalty on each acquisition of your digital book. Book royalties are a level of the digital book’s retail cost, and that rate changes relying upon the online retailer and the rundown cost.
There are two choices: 35% sovereignty and 70% eminence.
2. Length and Perceived Quality
3. Your Book’s Genre
Expand Your Reach By Choosing the Right eBook Distribution Partner
SunTec Digital renders professional eBook distribution services, tailored to cater to your eBook delivery requirements intended to oblige your eBook conveyance prerequisites concerning the profoundly sought-after eBook retailers, like Nook, Amazon, iBooks, Kobo, and Barnes and Noble. Being a powerful eBook conveyance stage, we have the ideal arrangement, experience, and specialized skill to help you market your content everywhere in the world and increase your sales.
Our specialists comprehend the difficulties of conveying eBooks to worldwide online retailers with the goal that they can pick your book as indicated by its content, language, and type. We guarantee that your eBook is viable with all cell phones including cell phones, tablets, eReaders just as eCommerce sites. In the event that you might want, we can likewise uphold you in selling your eBooks from your own site, placing you responsible for the deal cost, just as directing people to your site.
With online classes and digitization, eBooks are taking over the market like never before. We understand that publishing and distribution can be a huge task for authors who are already dwelled in other tasks. So, if you are looking for secure eBook distribution services, then get in touch with SunTec Digital via email email@example.com
Brought to you by the Marketing and Communications Team at SunTec Digital. We publish tips & tricks, informed opinions, and interesting stories about Digital publishing solutions & industry trends. Join our mailing list to stay ahead of the curve.